[Tango-L] Better? Worse? Just different

Anton Stanley anton at alidas.com.au
Fri Apr 15 05:58:00 EDT 2011

I suggest that tango is imbedded in culture. Any comparatively sudden or
dramatic changes are not evolutionary. The only thing that does survive is
the name. I also believe that many use the term "modern" music and style,
instead of "new" music and style. Modernising music and style in my opinion,
is what took place in tango between say the 1930s to 1950s. To me,
modernising means refining, not changing. Thereafter in my opinion, tango
music became heavily influenced by other globally immerging music styles and
ceased to be a dance music and association to its predecessor became
increasingly stretched. But the name survived. Fortunately this phenomenon
didn't happen to the Turkey Trot or Cakewalk, as eloquently stated in a
we're talking about. Not so with tango. Simply, the desire of people to
dance them died, not the dances themselves. They still hibernate. The option
of changing the music and the dance but keeping the name wasn't deployed.
However tango has not reached the point of losing a large core of advocates.
It is still healthily supported in milongas around the world in its
traditional form. Where is the imperative to change it, except amongst those
who aren't satisfied by the classical form. That's where the driving force
for change emanates. They want something quite different from that of the
traditional advocates, but confuse the issue by an unwillingness to tag the
"modern" music and style with their own generic label.
I like the "new" style of music and dance. But to me it's not tango. No more
than say the "Kizomba" (which I happen to particularly like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_d6FZYl4Qk&feature=related). And it
certainly doesn't coexist happily at milongas. Fundamentally I think it's a
clash of cultures. Same as I prefer a nicely matured red as opposed to an
alcopop. Sorry! It sprang to mind and I couldn't resist. I don't really mean
it.

Anton