[Tango-L] tango to rap

HBBOOGIE1@aol.com HBBOOGIE1 at aol.com
Tue Apr 12 20:21:43 EDT 2011

Sharon
American Rumba is danced to a rumba  beat. If you were two blocks away and
couldn’t hear the music but could see the  dancers there is no doubt you
would know they were doing a rumba.
I dance  very traditional tango. My feet are grounded to the floor I dance
to the music  paying attention to the woman I’m dancing with. I’m not
dancing for the audience  or trying to impress. I would say at any given milonga
in  SoCal  you  might find 3 or 4 people dancing this way the rest are
dancing what they believe  to be tango because it’s what they’ve been taught  or
seen on You tube. I  have a lot of names for what I see going on out on the
dance floor and  traditional tango is not one of them. So to answer the
question……… In their  minds they are dancing tango in spite of the music.
I went to the  alternative music milonga last year at the Seattle Tango
Festival with a very  poor attitude because I’m such a tango snob. It wasn’t
alternative tango music  it was rock and roll and jazz and such.
I ended up having a great time it  really was lots of fun dancing tango to
Elvis and Elton. However if you were two  blocks away and you couldn’t hear
the music but you could see the dancers you  would have seen one old geezer
dancing tango and you’d still be trying to figure  out what the rest of the
crowd was doing.
Regards
David

In a  message dated 4/12/2011 1:46:33 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,