[Tango-L] tango to rap

Sharon Pedersen sharon.pedersen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 16:45:20 EDT 2011

Let me turn the question around a bit, then.  Is any movement to tango
music, tango dancing?  Or to count as a tango, does the movement have
to have some particular characteristics, as well as being done to
tango music?

If the latter, can those characteristic ways of moving be used to
non-tango music?  Let's, for the sake of argument, not call it tango
dancing since it's done to non-tango music.  Would you be willing to
call it "dancing influenced by tango dancing"?  Or is it just
completely not-tango, with no influence, no relation, no connection?

I'm not arguing for my point of view here -- I won't use your answers
against you to try to say "aha, you do agree with me!"; rather I'm
trying to explore the various facets of relation and/or borrowing of
music and movement.

Are there other dance forms that are equally inseparable from their music?

__Sharon