[Tango-L] Subject: What's Nuevo?

Carole McCurdy carolemccurdy at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 11 16:55:00 EDT 2011

Hola Mario,

Regarding http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y8CQZs9f8s

Thanks for posting this! This demonstration dance by Rodrigo and Mila is so
beautifully musical, playful and connected! A lovely melding of traditional
salon intimacy with the "gyrotonic" extensions of nuevo. Magnificent leading and
following by these two talented dancers, who are not "bespoke partners."
(Rodrigo is touring in Europe right now...)

Look at the passage between 2:03 and 2:30. It starts with a simple walk with
ochos in close embrace, adorned by Mila's piquant accenting taps outside
Rodrigo's left foot, and ending the musical phrase at 2:15 with a side step
where Rodrigo leads a "pisadita" (is that a term of art in tango? dunno, but you
see what I mean, and how very cute it is!); then, at 2:19, he opens the embrace
with a colgada/boleo (notice Mila's smile of delight, and how as a sensitive
follower she has already allowed her left arm to slide the embrace open,
permitting this possibility) and he leads a polyrhythmic interpretation that
gives Mila full swing while he cranks into his own riff at 2:26.

What to call this? Salon Nuevo, maybe. On my most recent trip to Buenos Aires
(dec-jan), I heard that term for the first time. I'm not sure if it's a label
that Rodrigo or Mila would choose to describe their dance; they'd likely just
call it tango. I call it delicious tango, with a flavor of taking disassociation
to its fullest limits.

To disclose my bias, I'll admit that I took some classes and privates with
Rodrigo while in BsAs and was impressed by his dancing, his teaching, and his
menschiness. He's a young talent to watch. I'm an average milonguero-style
follower of 10+ years and am not fully conversant in the nuevo vocabulary, but
the stuff that Rodrigo does is all based on partner connection and hearing the
music. Mila (the Muscovite divina) I saw numerous times dancing at El Beso
(bastion of the milonguero style, all social dancing), and she was sought after
by leaders of all styles and stripes. No wonder: her dance is elegant, playful,
nuanced, musical, as you see in the video you posted--where she and Rodrigo are
challenging each other creatively.

Not sure if this addresses your question, but I hope this adds to a conversation
that won't turn rough!

Carole in Chicago