[Tango-L] What's Nuevo?

rhink2@netscape.net rhink2 at netscape.net
Mon Apr 11 13:19:08 EDT 2011

Greetings,

Here's what I observed from the video:

1) the dance is playful as is the music, in contrast to more passionate
tangos
2) the routine appears choreographed, well choreographed
3) some of the figures are modern though rooted in what appears to me
to be canyengue

I understand the question about the dance performed in the video since
there are a myriad of styles.
Tango purists often label anything they don't like as "nuevo".  Some
professional instructors I've known
take this attitude even further by claiming that if it's not their
style it's not tango.

Personally, I feel that if it walks like tango and talks like tango
then it's tango.  The nuanced parsing of styles
is probably an exercise in futility.

I apologize if I have engaged in that activity here.

Bob
San Francisco