[Tango-L] tango to rap

Charles Roques c.roques at mchsi.com
Sun Apr 3 09:25:25 EDT 2011

> Hey fuckhead
>
> I'd like to reply firstly by saying, that no, this is not rubbish.  This is the extreme high end of tango.  Stage style, but done to Hip hop - not rap.
>
> I'd also like to respond directly and say that:
> 1 - if you are dancing tango and someone says, "don't dance to rock and roll.."  You might first 'educate them that it's tango.  Not Rock and Roll.  This is not rap...
> 2 - As an extremely basic and horrible tango dancer, with very little or technical ability (and believe me, you are a horrible dancer), before you rubbish an amazing dancer and pretend to be an amazing authority on Tango, and say either the dancing, dancer or style is rubbish.  Try and get some ability.
> 3.  You are part of the problem of this forum to me.  A person with little, or no skill and you are saying it's rubbish.
>
> Gaspar was a world champion at 19 and is currently touring the world as one of the most accomplished and amazing professional tango dancers.  Manuela was number 2 in the world recently and is also amazing and incredibly accomplished.
>
> You, Vince, you are hopeless.  Perfectly hopeless.
>
> Damian Thompson
> Anytime you want to chat face to face, call me.

Thanks for posting this.

Finally, music that befits the dance style. Regarding Gaspar and Manuela, "world champion" and "number 2" are meaningless since awards are only reflections of who gives them.  It's no surprise that Damian defends this because this is how he dances, but I'm with Vince on this one.  It is pretty lame as tango, not to mention corny.  Extreme "high end" of tango? huh?  if so, not very high standards....only thing missing was a rose in the teeth.

 ... and even though hostile home boy Damian's macho response was private his attitude was pathetic.  The defense of this kind of tango is why most experienced traditional dancers don't bother to post anymore.  We have alternative milongas, but now we need an alternative tango list (hint, hint Sharukh or whomever ) for the cargo pants, t-shirts and sneakers (and hot pants) crowd.  Many milongas today are terrible for music and dancing.  Why don't the nuevo break dancers stop pretending they are dancing the same dance and just start their own list?

cheers
Charles