[Tango-L] rotation of dance partners

Sandhill Crane grus.canadensis at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 30 11:43:06 EDT 2010

--- On Tue, 9/28/10, Michael <tangomaniac at cavtel.net> wrote:

> I wrote on  On Sat, 9/25/10,
>  I'm lost. Why would advanced dancers and beginners be in
> the SAME workshop?
>
> From: "Sandhill Crane"
> To help the beginners move along more quickly, of course.

> I just don't see advanced dancers being so altruistic
> taking classes to help beginners. I've gender balanced
> at a tango festival so I go where I'm needed. I haven't
> seen any advanced dancers in the beginners classes.

Agreed, it's uncommon to find non-beginners in the
beginners classes. What's more common is to see people
who are out of their depth, so to speak, in other classes.
The outcome is really the same either way; the less
experienced ones benefit from the presence of the more
experienced, and the more experienced learn how to
work with a wider range of partners. Whether they expected
it or not, whether they like it or not, that's what's
happening.

It's only a "problem" to the extent that the more
experienced person expected to learn the latest cool move
(which they can dance only with the partner who was
at the same workshop). But we all agree that's not the
goal, right? Fundamentals are most important, connection
is most important, blah blah blah, we say it all the time.
If people really believed it, they'd be happy to take
classes with beginners.