[Tango-L] Pedulum swing to fundamental

Nussbaum, Martin mnussbau at law.nyc.gov
Wed Sep 29 13:01:29 EDT 2010

Sandhill Crane wonders when the pendulum will swing back from fancy
steps to fundamentals.
I see nascent signs of this happening, but you still have to seek it
out. In Baltimore and San Francisco, Sebastian Arce y Mariana Montes
focused primarily on the fundamentals of the embrace, walking posture,
and turning technique, even in the advanced level classes. There is a
recent trend toward very slow movements in crowded fest milongas.
Melina and Detlef, Oliver and Sylvina, also emphasize fundamentals.
On the individual level, it takes some time in tango to appreciate
connection, the gratification of one well executed step, and that the
music doesn't require that you dance every beat or quarter note with a
hundred random ganchos, boleos, colga-volca-solta-dadas, or burritos.
Took me a dozen years, and just now starting to realize what I want my
tango to be. It's a process. The showstopper athletic moves bring in the
kids, and the embrace hooks them later. Some get it sooner, and some
never get it. People come to tango for many different reasons.  Sure,
its fun to play with the huge moves and dynamics, elasticity in
practicas, or sometimes when the milonga is empty at 4 am. But these
days when I see people at a full milonga monkeying around frenetically,
I just wonder where they are racing to  and why bother.