[Tango-L] Basics: Walking

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Mon Sep 20 19:05:17 EDT 2010

I regret I can't respond in rich text so I could use a different font and
color to differentiate my response to Ming's comments.

The hips are already back before the free foot moves. If the hip is pulled
to much backward, the woman will fall forward. The hips should only go
backward enough to bring the weight onto the balls of the feet. This doesn't
cause the butt to stick out. Bending forward from the waist causes the butt
to stick out, not pulling the hips back.  My back is fine.

Yes, when people walk outside milongas, they land on their heel first, but
that's because their posture is straight up without their hips pulled back.
But what happens after you step on your heel. You don't walk heel to toe
without rolling to the outside edge. Why? The foot has an arch (except mine
because I have flat feet). There's no support under the arch so the foot
rolls outward and then comes back in.

Michael
I danced Argentine Tango --with the Argentines