[Tango-L] basics

sherpal1@aol.com sherpal1 at aol.com
Sat Sep 18 16:35:33 EDT 2010

Just getting the beginner learning the basics to walk on the beat is a big, big deal...yet along interpreting the music...you maybe a gifted musician or a long time afficionado of tango music, but the newbie takes quite a while to lay a paso directly on the music and they are better off dancing to D'Arrienzo to start off because there are fewer mood changes in the music and now so much need to intrepret it...just dance to it...When I first saw tango taught in my community(being a long time flamenco and salsa dancer) the first thing I said is, "Wow, I have never seen a dance not stay on the beat!"  Well of course, that is because the teachers themselves were not dancing on the beat.  It took several workshops from Argentines to get people to relate their steps to the music...so I will maintain my position of musical interpretaion  not being a part of basic training.  Sherrie