[Tango-L] the ?? of close embrace

Sandhill Crane grus.canadensis at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 16 11:40:51 EDT 2010

I agree that there are a lot of people (men and
women both) who seem to want to do big showy figures.
But I think "fear" is the wrong word to use here.
"Disinterest" or "apathy" or "indifference" is
probably more accurate. Especially for people who
are new to tango, it's simply not obvious what's
the big deal about listening to the music, simple
steps, close embrace, all of that stuff. But anybody
can see what's going on when you start up the nuevo
stuff: wow, that's really complicated, she has really
nice legs, he's dressed like a bum so he must be cool,
I want to be like them! What's the big deal about
close embrace that I keep hearing about? Obviously
those people aren't "doing" anything. Aren't you
supposed to "do" something?

How can you convince people that it's actually more
interesting to get close to your partner than to do
acrobatics? I really don't have any idea.