[Tango-L] Socio-ethical behavior, Laura's predicament, popular expressions

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 1 09:25:19 EDT 2010

Laura says:  "Oh rats! I have to put up with this rude behaviour in Europe, and now I discover that I will have to put up with it when I visit B.A. since I'll be a foreigner. Of all the codes, the cabaceo is the one that makes the most sense to me across cultures. I use it as much as possible, and it's so nice when it works."

Dear Laura my advise to you is: when somebody comes to the table to ask you to dance say No! thank you!. The men at the milonga will immeditely know that you are an experienced dancer and will invite you to dance using the "Cabeceo".

Ruben uses a very relevant popular expression that I will translate:

"Al que nace barrigón es al ñudo que lo fajen". (For those that are born with a big belly is useless too use binders.)

This is a popular expression that is used frequently. It indicates the impossibility to change behavior, attitudes or systems.

Have a nice day,  Sergio