[Tango-L] Apt. scam in BsAs

NANCY ningle_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 25 11:58:42 EDT 2010

--- On Mon, 10/25/10, Mario <sopelote at yahoo.com> wrote:

   What you describe (seems to me) to be a combination of culture clash and
disrespect/thievery.
 The BIG thing to get understood (again according to my own experience) is that
the Security/rent deposit in a Latin American Country is not seen in the same
way as it is in the United States.  OK, now I have to explain how it is seen in
Latin America and I will probably screw it up but one thing for sure is; Always
use that deposit as your last month's rent!!

You have misunderstood, Mario.  In Buenos Aires, there are short-term rentals for tourists - from a week to several months.  Not only are the deposits returned ( as I noted in the original post) but in my experience, it is returned in  the same form as it was given and in a sealed envelope with my signature written over the flap to assure the renter that the agent is honest. Because I have rented in the same building for several years, the agent does not even charge me a deposit because she knows I will leave the place in excellent condition.

In the US it is common to charge first and last month's rent and a damage deposit on a year-long lease.  In that case, the last month's rent works as you suggest but the damage deposit should still be refunded if appropriate.

And please note:  the link I sent was not my experience, but it is a warning about a specific woman with a particular apartment which she rents to tourists.  It is not meant to condemn all portenos who rent apartments to tourists.  I have only had good experiences with landlords and cab drivers.

Nancy