[Tango-L] Cabeceo

Joe Grohens joe.grohens at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 16:01:55 EDT 2010

> How do you get the waiter's attention at a nice restaurant? Do you physically go into the kitchen to retrieve him.

The discussion of the cabaceo and waiters reminds me of an incident that happened during our first trip to Buenos Aires.

We went to a milonga that served dinner. We were hungry, and we intended to eat first and then dance a little there.

My girlfriend was into the cabaceo, and had already adopted a firm policy of saying "no, gracias" to any man who came to the table to invite her to dance. (Which was happening pretty often, and it wasn't just tourists.)

So, after we were seated and watching the dancing, sure enough in a short time a man came to the table and addressed my partner. She smiled and said no thanks, and he went away.

Much later, others in our group had started to wonder when would we ever get to order our food. We were starving. Maybe we should go somewhere else. Where is our waiter?

That was when my partner realized that she had rejected the wrong man.