[Tango-L] The care and feeding of new leads.

Dubravko Kakarigi dubravko_2005 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 22 13:26:34 EDT 2010

Excellent questions Mario. Yes, I am a male. My first few months were really
scary. During my first visit to Buenos Aires (by myself), year and a half after
I started dancing it took me one hour to get enough guts to walk up to El Beso,
etc. etc.

Why did I continue? Because I had the dance inside myself. The problem was
inadequate technique for basic elements, all aspects of it: walk, posture,
embrace, connection - I always had the musicality, which carried me through - I
just had to dance, the music makes me dance.

Suggestion? Technique, technique, technique -- provided that there is a feeling
for the music. Teach good walking and simple turns and you have the basics.
Provide guided practice of technique. Get the "leads" to practice with each
other - a lot. Do not show too many tango shows. Distinguish between those who
dance just to "get the girls" (nothing particularly wrong with it in itself, but

quite misplaced for tango) from those who just have to dance and focus on the
latter. Have teachers who are enthusiastic and who love dancers. Teach how to
treat the partner with care and respect.