[Tango-L] Fwd: introducing the cabeceo (card)

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 16 12:30:33 EDT 2010

It doesn't take years of experience or a certain reputation to suggest a man wait until the music starts before accepting a tanda.  It's usually just that the man hasn't thought about it.  He's accustomed to either yes or no, not maybe.  If he gets the same "let's hear the music first" from women, regardless of their skill level, he'll figure it out.  Typically, the man's initial reaction is "perhaps she doesn't like the music", so he doesn't realize that it might be him and he won't feel so bad if she turns him down.  White lies have their place.

Personally, if I was a leader who received a such a card, I'd laugh (internally, of course).  I might consider it an insult that the woman trusted me with her body but not enough with her feelings to let me know that she'd like to try the cabeceo next time.  Maybe I'm just more concerned about the environment.

Millongas are SOCIAL occasions.  People need to bring their social skills to it, not just rules.  Are we so numbed by the internet and Facebook and Twitter that we have forgotten the art of conversation?  Of socializing?  Of delivering lines to acheive a certain effect?

Women have wiles.  There are times when they should use them.

Trini