[Tango-L] floor craft -2

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Thu Oct 14 13:25:22 EDT 2010

On Oct 14, 2010, at 2:04 AM, Jack Dylan wrote:

> [...]

It's nice to have a clean outer lane.

It's even nicer to also have a clean second lane.

Straddling the lanes or Zig-zagging between lanes is problematic.

> Some people just don't belong in the ronda, eg. beginners who
> haven't yet developed the necessary skills to improvise on any
> given step and others, often skilled dancers, who want to dance
> more fancy figures that take up a lot of space and those who
> want to dance Nuevo.
> Jack

Beginners can do fine in the outer lane. It does depend on what they
have been taught. Simple walking steps are within their control,
whereas ochos and turns aren't. In my beginner classes I make sure
they have the foundational vocabulary for handling the outer lane, and
we repeatedly practice navigating the dance floor in the first weeks
and months. Then these new dancers feel successful when they go to the
dances.

The intermediates are the main navigational hazard. They know too much
vocabulary that they can't mange for navigation, and get stuck out in
the middle like "swooping of dying tango swans who gobble up all the
floor space".

Some people stay intermediate for years.

Tom Stermitz
c: 303-725-5963
http://www.tango.org
Denver, CO 80207