[Tango-L] Respect

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Fri Oct 8 10:56:02 EDT 2010

On 06/10/2010 21:22, Huck Kennedy wrote:
>        Well that *is* a problem with the style--as you point out, stage
> tango is not appropriate for a crowded dance floor.

But I simply disagree that stage tango is a style, and that social
tango is another, and that these are "the only two styles".

These are *settings*, not styles, or at least they should be. If,
within your "style", you don't adapt to the setting, you're obviously
not going to get great results (and you are going to be rude if you
dance 'stage tango' on a crowded dance floor).

Stage tango by definition isn't appropriate to a crowded
dance floor.

I understand something very "different" when I mean style. The
style of embrace, the frame, the way you solve the obvious
biomechanical conundrums together with your partner, the walk,
the exact way in which your dance rhythm interacts with strong
and weak beats and even melodic phrases, the way it all
breathes, where the pauses are, how the leader invites
adornos or doesn't, the exact timing, the selection of
patterns that are used to assemble the dance,...

...you can keep all of that pretty much the same in a social or stage
setting yet these can differentiate you from all the other dancers.

Unless your "style" is so rigid it cannot adapt to one of the
settings, of course; it is e.g. necessary to eschew some
dangerous moves or to adapt their form to a social setting
(boleos don't *have* to mow down other dancers), and you will
likely need to adapt some embraces to the place at hand
(it's more than a bit rude to e.g. insist in dancing at
  arms' length).