[Tango-L] floor craft -2

Myk Dowling politas at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 08:04:43 EDT 2010

On 07/10/10 16:23, Jack Dylan wrote:
> Interesting! I was told the opposite - that when overtaking is absolutely
> necessary [for reasons already given], you should overtake on the inside
> but never on the outside. The reason given was that, due to the embrace,
> the man is blind on his right side and to overtake a man where he cannot
> see you increases the risk of a collision. This makes sense to me. I was
> also told that one reason why milongueros always dance in the outer ronda
> is because of this 'blindness' on their right side, i.e. they know that there
> are no dancers there to disturb him or his partner.

I would agree wholeheartedly with this. Someone sneaking past me on the
outside when I'm in the outer ring causes more collisions than any other
approach on the floor. I can see ahead and to my left. To my right, I
keep track of how much space I have to the edge of the floor (or of my
lane if I'm not on the outside ring). Nothing annoys me more than
suddenly finding someone intruding into that (usually fairly small) space.

Myk,
in Canberra