[Tango-L] Some thoughts on connection

HBBOOGIE1@aol.com HBBOOGIE1 at aol.com
Mon Nov 15 08:31:42 EST 2010

Jack you gave a perfect explanation of lead and  follow.
this is  the lead:..."The simplest example is the walk.  It seems that I
merely walk forward, with my initial movement coming from the  torso"
this is the follow......"and the lady walks backward with her  initial
movement"
Brilliant

In a message dated 11/14/2010  11:52:11 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
jackdylan007 at yahoo.com writes:
>  From: Pat Petronio petronio at adam.com.au

> "Leading" & "following"  can create a different mindset to "inviting" &
>"responding", >

I'm uncomfortable with both of these terminologies. 'Leading and
following'
seems

to imply that there's a concious lead by the man,  which the lady
recognises and
then follows. But, in reality, both happen  simultaneously and, with
correct
technique,
are built-in to the dance.  The man 'Inviting' seems to imply that the lady
then
has a

choice to  either accept or decline, which, surely, isn't the case.

The simplest  example is the walk. It seems that I merely walk forward,
with my
initial

movement coming from the torso and the lady walks backward with her
initial
movement

coming from her foot. But I don't feel any leading  or inviting - we're
simply
walking together

and, if I stop the  movement of my torso, the lady stops the movement of
her foot
and waits

for whatever comes next. Or am I being too simplistic?

A teacher  once told me that there is no lead and follow; the man dances
his
dance and

the lady accompanies him with her dance. This is assuming both know how  to
dance.

Jack

Tango-L mailing  list
Tango-L at mit.edu