[Tango-L] thoughts about connection

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 14 14:58:50 EST 2010

It is very simple, in any couple or partner dance one leads (the man) an another one follows (the woman).

In that type of dance there is a masculine and a feminine role.  In Argentina we call the masculine role "the man" and the feminine role "the woman".

When two men practice tango together one is "the man" and the other plays the role of the "the woman". This role playing usually does not have anything to do with sexual orientation.

The terms "leader" and "follower" were born and used abroad (outside Argentina).

The role of the man is to be self confident, to embrace the woman properly, to protect her, to make her feel well, to make her shine.

To feel the music, decide what steps he wishes to use, to "mark" so that the woman understands without any doubt what the lead is.

To navigate the floor with skill.

To achieve good communication and connection. to  surrender to the embrace and to the music.  To execute the steps and figures in a masculine way.

The role of the woman is to allow the man to embrace her properly, to feel his chest as the bird that enters his nest. To trust her companion.

To establish good connection, to be attentive to the man's suggested leads.

To execute the steps, properly, with feminine grace, adding her own artistic interpretation to this execution  of steps and figures withoout interfering with his lead.

To surrender to the music and the embrace.

In tango like in real life we strive to be equal but we recognize that we are different, and that our roles are different.

WE are happy with our respective roles, we cooperate with each  other, we both do our best to achieve the end, which is a fulfilling tango.

We do not compete with each other.

Best regardds, Sergio