[Tango-L] Tango's Cutural Heritage

Anton Stanley anton at alidas.com.au
Mon May 24 16:03:03 EDT 2010

A quote from the latest edition of La Milonga Argentina magazine. An
interview with Horacio Godoy, a partner in the La Viruta milonga BsAs.

"I think there always has to be an evolving development of any art form,
because society is changing. First one has to cultivate the roots so that
later you can give it your own evolution criteria, which is what sometimes
doesn't happen because they start off directly with what is new tango.
That's why people often aren't aware of what is a milonga-style or
salon-style tango, or canyengue, the same as they don't have any idea if
it's D'Agostino playing or Pugliese or D'Arienzo. The essence is lost if one
doesn't have the basic grounding, and then it turns into something hollow,
empty, going beyond the development they want to make."

In my opinion, that says it all. From a supporter of tango development.

Anton