[Tango-L] Why are you dancing tango if you don't like tango?

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Thu May 6 02:42:22 EDT 2010

On 05/05/2010 23:27, Trini y Sean (PATangoS) wrote:
> No, that's based on most of my experience with actual bands.

That would fit most of my experience as well, but not all of it.

So I'd be careful not to generalise too much, especially if you want
to foster an attitude of cooperation (and we certainly do want that,
don't we)?

I'm not saying that you are not supportive - from the rest of your
post it's clear that you personally are (in your community).

Just that simple sentences on tango-l have less context and may be
perceived differently.

One of the reasons is that being a really good "dance" band is hard
work. It's (I'm told) quite rewarding once you're good at it
(and that's something that I can feel and see when the chemistry
is just right, even though I'm not a musician), but
hard, so an overtly hostile stance from the dance community
doesn't help to encourage a band to make a conscious decision to
persevere in that direction. Especially given the market for it
is, well, rather small compared to the market for music for listeners
(as you already pointed out).