[Tango-L] Why are you dancing tango if you don't like tango?

AJ Azure azure.music at verizon.net
Wed May 5 16:43:48 EDT 2010

As I said, there are good an bad bands. There is considerably more work to
good swing or salsa than just laying down a rhythm. How much of the three
styles have you in fact played and arranged? Ask yourself that before you
comment on the level of complexity in doing any music.

There's that elitist attitude rearing its' ugly head.

Ask yourself how much of the current vacuum is the musicians and how much is
this unwelcoming attitude?

Some musicians certainly play for themselves but, many and all he ones I've
had come through my group love it when people dance to what they're doing.

As for the whole compartmentalizing tango from swing and other related
styles thing, it amazes me how people think there's this line of
segregation. The 20s, 30s, 40s, etc. have always had a combo of music. Sure
people went out for a night of only  tango dancing but, there were certainly
groups who mixed it all up in one evening. This genre vacuum and rigidness
is a modern self handicapping not part of the tango or any music / dance
tradition. In fact Hawaiian music was popular even in Argentina back then.
Rigidity does no one any service in the long run.

You'll never really find a group you like if you first assume you won't like
them.

_A