[Tango-L] Why are you dancing tango if you don't like tango?

AJ Azure azure.music at verizon.net
Wed May 5 16:30:28 EDT 2010

That's certainly the cliché thought pattern but, not the correct one. Given
the opportunity musicians are happy to play older stuff and aren't all about
ego. That's most cliché, stereotypical blanket comment. It's like saying
tango dancers are arrogant because, you met a few who were. There are lots
of musicians and as long as you keep that anti frame of mind the growth will
continue to be stunted. You're telling musicians you assume they suck and
are egotistical. Quite a friendly sign to hang out. Just imagine where tango
would be if your attitude was the overpowering norm in the early 1900s

As for how they play, there plenty of bad swing bands too. It doesn't mean
you apply that across the board.  I for one have no interest in neo or nuevo
and do all old but, am not so closed that I  don't  like incorporating
modern ideas in to some arrangements while keeping it traditional.
My orchestra wouldn't stand a chance with you because, you've already made
up your mind. That's sad. I'm just glad your attitude is not the all
encompassing one. I'm doing an event at the Player's Club in NY and The PA
Museum of Art and that to me says (thankfully) people still want live music
with their tango.
It's sad that you seem to be unable to be touched by the live music
interaction.

As for viable options, communities can certainly support bringing in local
musicians via an out reach program. They may start out clumsily but, they
can get better and the community can feel invested in their growth.

-A