[Tango-L] Why do I dance tango if I do not like tango music.

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Mon May 3 23:25:55 EDT 2010

I wonder if this topic is related to alternative milogas, where you don't
hear the "good stuff." Alternative milongas seem to specialize in ballroom
and Latin music, e.g. Foxtrot, American Tango, Merengue, etc. The key behind
ballroom and Latin is the cadence never changes. Foxtrot is
slow-slow-quick-quick (unless you dance a pattern that's slow-quick-quick.)
Since the cadence doesn't change, you don't have to pay attention as much as
to Argentine Tango. In Argentine tango, there's no repetitive cadence as in
foxtrot or in Latin, e.g. cha cha is slow-slow-quick-quick-slow. Sometimes
you can pause in AT. The music doesn't stop in ballroom for poses. You have
to find the right time for a pose.

Michael
I danced Argentine Tango --with the Argentines
Miami Tango Fantasy starting to show on the radar screen