[Tango-L] Why do I dance tango if I do not like tango music.

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Mon May 3 22:00:55 EDT 2010

I think that for many people taste for tango music is and acquired taste.  It does not matter if you are Argentine or not.

The same happens with respect to other types of music, classical music, operas, Lawrence Welk vs. Hevy Metal, Rapp, etc.

Sometimes this taste seems to be related to socio-economical class or degree of education. Other times seems to relate to age or generation.

It seems to me that people of certain nationalities are more "sensitive" to Argentine Tango music, they feel and interpret the music almost by instinct.

An acquired taste often refers to an appreciation for a food or beverage that is unlikely to be enjoyed by a person who has not had substantial exposure to it, usually because of some unfamiliar aspect of the food or beverage, including a strong or strange odor (e.g. stinky tofu), taste (such as bitter teas or mate), or disgusting appearance.

 Acquired taste may also refer to aesthetic tastes, such as taste in music or other forms of art. The relationship between taste in food and taste in art is subject to much discussion.

Intentionally changing one's preferences can be hard to accomplish. It usually requires a deliberate effort, such as acting as if one likes something in order to have the responses and feelings that will produce the desired taste.

The risk in this acting is that it can lead to all sorts of excesses such as self-deception and pretentiousness. The challenge becomes one of distinguishing authentic or legitimate acquired tastes resulting from deeply considered preference changes from inauthentic ones motivated by, for example, status or conformism.

Some examples of tastes which normally need to be tried several times to 'learn to like' are beer, coffee, caviar, olives and red wine.

There has been quite a lot of debate on how this change in taste experience is accomplished, as many people  report that without effort or intent they have learned to appreciate these flavors simply by repeated exposure.

Repeated exposure works:

 If you wish to become "used" or develop a taste for tango music you should try to listen to good tango music as frequently as possible.

It is better to use only tango music "for dancing" and disregard (initially) that music that was writteen for listening only.

I would try to become familiarized with a specific orchestra at the time and then try a different one and proceed in this way.

Carlos Disarli (Instrumental - vol.I and II), Osvaldo Fresedo (Vida Mia - Singer Roberto RAY), Juan D'Arienzo (Sus primeros exitos - Vol I) OSVALDO Pugliese -("A los amigos"), Tanturi-Castillo, Angel D'Agostino-Angel Vargas, Canaro, Miguel Calo, Julio de Caro, Color Tango, Tanturi- Castillo, Troilo - Alberto Marino, etc.

Eventually you will learn how to dance differently to every Tango orchestra.

One can dance "tango" to any type of music but the "feeling" is quite different. Feeling could be different even when you try to dance to non-Argentine tangos, although many of them are perfect and beautiful.

Otherwise continue doing whatever is that you have been doing. But be concious to the fact that in this last instance you are not "a real milonguero".
It does not matter if you are wearing a hat

Best regards, Sergio