[Tango-L] Recognizing Tango Music

Tango22 tango22 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 19:49:23 EDT 2010

From: Shahrukh Merchant
Subject: Recognizing Tango Music

"What makes Tango music Tango music?"

Joaquin Amenabar in his book "Tango, Let's Dance to the Music"
describes modern Tango as having two elements, a basic four-beat count
and a melodic phrase with its own rhythmic accents that are not tied
to any fixed rhythmic pattern.  Each phrase has its own accents
according to the melody, so the rhythm of tango is not a fixed
rhythmic pattern anymore.

Further chapters discuss the form and structure of Tango, melodic
rhythm, double-time, syncopation, off-beat and other features of Tango
music.

The book and DVD is recommended for all serious Tango dancers and
teachers.  It is available in Australia/NZ, Europe and the UK.  I'm
not sure that it is available in the US, but I know it was planned for
sometime this year. www.joaquinamenabar.com

Mr Amenabar is taking workshops in Australia and New Zealand during
June / July 2010.  Details at www.paralosninos.net.

John