[Tango-L] Tango marathons

Vince Bagusauskas vytis at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 21 09:44:54 EDT 2010

To: tango-l at MIT.EDU
Subject: Re: [Tango-L] Tango marathons
From: Tango22 <tango22 at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 10:16:38 +1000
Sender: tango-l-bounces at MIT.EDU

John said:

>Sydney Salon Tango Festival  - September - October

You forgot "Tango in the Spring" in Canberra over the same weekend.

>I'm getting the feeling the organisers of national events and one-off
>touring teachers will need to be very selective, coordinate nationally
>with other organisers and make sure that their offerings are excellent
>quality to succeed.

A clearing house of events nationally is never going to happen.  It would
mean that "teachers" and the few clubs would need to band together and form
a Australian Tango Federation of sorts similar to what they do in ballroom,
to regulate the syllabus, qualifications, competitions etc.  At least
informally I believe in Melbourne teachers talk to each other.   If BsAs
had such a Federation then maybe Australia would follow in its footsteps.

I have heard that of local milongas that had waned in the past couple of
years.  So to me any event that attracts people to make a critical mass of
dancers, can only do the community good.

Vince
In Melbourne