[Tango-L] The Basic Elements of Tango

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Thu Jul 8 04:12:25 EDT 2010

On 08/07/2010 02:33, Michael wrote:
> I think the real problem is some dancers feel their vocabulary is incomplete
> if the latest fad isn't included. Some people emphasize figures while others
> emphasize connection. When the connection is so good your heart is
> palpitating, why would somebody want to break the connection for a colgada?

That actually has a couple of answers.

Variation is the spice of life, and the best proof of a *really*
good (close) connection is restoring it flawlessly after a
colgada (which, by the way, is also "connected" if it's any good,
but with a different kind of connection). The feeling of a
follower's hand gliding back over your neck, effortlessly
and just in time for the couple to glide back into the next
phrase, is not something I'd want to miss, even though you
can have a good dance without it.

I would have to agree that spices are dangerous, though: too
much spices and you ruin the dish...they're not supposed to
obscure the basic ingredients, they're supposed to
enhance them.