[Tango-L] blame, responsibility, and opportunity -- Who to blame for the "bad" dancers?

Sandhill Crane grus.canadensis at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 28 01:05:45 EST 2010

Pardon me for hijacking this thread, but the title suggests
an idea to me.

It might be more productive, i.e. might lead to something we
want sooner, if we focus on opportunity instead of blame
or responsibility. In particular, I'm pretty sure that
tango teachers, at least in the US, have a lot of influence
on the dance as it is practiced at milongas. Depending
on how you look at it, that means we can blame them, or
put the responsibility on them, or we can see that the
teachers (those lucky souls) are the ones with the
opportunity to shape the dance as they see fit.

I've certainly complained a lot about dance floor
behavior and spent more than a little time looking for
someone to blame -- permit me to switch gears for a
moment while I try to find a positive angle.

At this point I'll just encourage all teachers to ponder
what they really want to see on the social dance floor,
and then to act accordingly.