Al compás!!! - Re: [Tango-L] stepping off the beat

"Christian Lüthen" christian.luethen at gmx.net
Sun Jan 17 17:53:50 EST 2010

Well said, John!

I am just back from a little, tiny milonga in The Hague ["Den Haag"] down here in The Netherlands. We had live music tonight: a lay orchestra, no professionals (allthough guided by a professional). Not perfect, but authentic! And yes: they had a beat! No destructive, difficult music as currently played by the 'young wild' from Buenos Aires (as great as musicians they are), but just very much into their music.

Also the dancers in this tiny milonga: mostly not the youngest any more, BUT: they were dancing to the beat, to the rythm, to the syncopations ... to the music! This in contrast to the big milonga in big port city Rotterdam which I attended a week ago and left in total frustration: impressive als the figures the dancers there were able to memorize, impressive how high they were able to kick their leg, impressive how they were able to walt 3 or more steps backwards against the line of dance ... and most impressive: they were able to perform all this in total ignorance of the music and the beat! Grueling!

Better less figures to the beat - and even better: to the music, than all the fancy foottricks ignoring the music and even the beat!

Al compás!!!
Christian

-------- Original-Nachricht --------