[Tango-L] Srgio cannot step off the beat

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 17 16:13:13 EST 2010

Don Klein says:  "Howard Goodall demonstrates that in Latin music derived from the Cuban /son /the melody and bass-line anticipate the beat (my pareja judges a 1/8-1/16). So, assuming Argentine tango music shares this characteristic, dancing to the melody would clearly be off-beat".

These comments have opened a new world for me. I realize now that I have waisted so much of my time teaching the students to recognize the music, the instruments, their interactions, the beat...to walk on the beat with and without double-time, the dynamic changes of different moments of the tango, etc.

Now I decided to let them walk off the beat, they are doing great, most of them are off only 1/7-1/15, (this according to my pareja but then she does not know too much about this things I thought that they were dancing
1/6 1/14 off)but who knows? I do not understand too much about this either.

I also decided not to use tango music, I just use "Son" because it comes from Cuba, where "Habanera", one of tango ancestors came from.

I am so excited! now my group finally looks like a real Milonga, with every one moving their hips with a background music, not related to what they do. I am still working on disassociating them more and more from the music.

To get better inspiration for all this novelty, I have been going to a dance for the deaf and dumb.
They start playing some music and then there are signs on the walls that light up and say what type of dance they are playing: Cha-cha, rumba, tango, vals, etc.

Then people start dancing but they do not hear the music, but it looks like a real milonga anyways.

Since I started doing this I am getting more students.

Vive la liberté!  Finally free from the tyranny of the beat.

Thank you Dn Kline,  best regards, Srgio