[Tango-L] The 8CB answer to Tom's question

hbboogie1@aol.com hbboogie1 at aol.com
Fri Jan 15 21:33:56 EST 2010

Tom, when I read your post I get confused, the  question you ask is …..
........Can anyone explain why Step #1 of the  traditional 8CB w/DBS is
backwards?.
Do you really not know the answer to  this question?

The 8CB is a tool for teaching forward, back and  side movement.
I have never seen a tango danced without someone taking a back  step, have
you?
Are you actually suggesting teaching tango and leaving out  the back step?

.An excellent teacher will teach every aspect of tango  using the 8CB
starting with posture, balance, embrace, axis and floor craft. Now  you’re ready
for that first back step… but wait not yet. You first need to learn  how to
very gently compress down into the floor sending a signal to the follower
that your getting ready to take that first step back and don’t forget the
position of the foot as you step back…...blah blah blah you get the picture
and  that’s just preparing to take that first step.

To get a full grasp of why  the back step in the 8CB should be taught check
out this Video it’s the  presentation by the instructors of the San Diego -
Denver Close Embrace Tango  Exchange of the 2007 tango festival hosted by
you Tom performing the dreaded  back step.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbwkqGtXYQA