[Tango-L] Back to the 8CB?

John Lowry john at lowry.com.au
Fri Jan 15 20:23:03 EST 2010

Not to argue, Sergio, but more interesting to me than nuevo, nuevo,
nuevo.

Amenabar lives and works in Buenos Aires too Sergio, playing and
teaching music.  More recently he has been teaching musicality to
dancers in Europe and Australia as well.  We find it is very
beneficial to dancers.  Perhaps the great Tango dancers of Buenos
Aires did this innately, but when we talk about these things to
dancers in Australia you can see the light come on.  Perhaps it is
another way to get people to listen intently to the music instead of
being concerned with what figure to do next.

From: Sergio Vandekier <sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com>

........I am Argentine, I grew up in Villa Urquiza (a neighborhood
famous for its tango clubs).

.......This step  (depending on many things,... available space behind
you, for instance) may be a real back step....................

Correct.  The point is that so many dancers blindly follow this
sequence, regardless of who or what is behind them.

Do you think that any of the following dancers are concerned with any
4 or 8 or 16 beat phrases or any count of any type?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3zet-EKeo8   Osvaldo zotto -     No.
This is clearly a choreographed performance (from one of the best),
but the music is secondary to the performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alcBFsaRoPQ  Tete Y silvia  -
Absolutely yes.  So on the music.  I want to weep that he has left us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDKwI0I8xms&feature=related osvaldo y
coca - Definitely yes.  This dance matches the music to perfection.
never tire of looking at them.  Thanks for this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVTHdM2LRLc&feature=related Orlando
Paiva Jr.  -  Sometimes , but I get the sense he is more concerned
with the figures than the music.
Best wishes,
John