[Tango-L] BsAs Floorcraft - How is it really?

Shahrukh Merchant shahrukh at shahrukhmerchant.com
Tue Jan 12 13:22:47 EST 2010

"Trini y Sean \(PATangoS\)" <patangos at yahoo.com> says:

> Daniel describes navigating the floor as being like a chess game, with the men trying to find the space on the floor.  However, key to this is the men watching and signaling each other.
> Daniel relates stories of playing this game with other men while in BsAs.

Never seen this or heard of it, other than in the showmanship kind of
situation at a performance that you describe, or possibly two friends
bumping into each other (literally) on the dance floor and engaging in a
friendly exaggerated courtesy play.

Otherwise, the only male-to-male "cabeceo-like" exchanges on the dance
floor is when there is a collision of some sort and is either a dirty
look or an apologetic look (depending more on the temperament of the
persons involved rather than on the specific circumstances).

Other than that, the serious dancers are (properly) focussed on their
partners and the music and of course also have (or should have) a
general awareness of the space, movement and traffic around them, but
certainly not at the level of *explicit* negotiation of space with other
dancers that you describe.

Maybe it's just a pedagogical trick to get the students to pay attention
to the existence of the other dancers? That would not be a bad thing. :-)

> Perhaps those currently in BsAs can give this aspect of navigation a try at the milongas?

I'm not sure how I would. I would have to break whatever connection I
might have with my partner, trying to get the attention of other dancers
who are likely ignoring me (for better or worse) at least at the level
of explicit communication, with perhaps only a 1/10 chance that they are
actually looking sufficiently in my direction that I am even in their
field of view.

Might have made for an entertaining class, or be good cross-training for
cabeceo, perhaps, but it's not a realistically useable (or used) technique.

Referring to your comment earlier in the post:

> It made me think that the dance-only-in-your-lane was an artificial construct that relies too much on people obeying the rules (which assumes that everyone knows and follows the rules).

Well, "dance-only-in-your-own-lane" is somewhat oversimplified, though I
can see it could be a good practice drill in a class, but regardless,
isn't the definition of social behaviour (which is surely what is called
for at a milonga) "an artificial construct [which socialization attempts
to make feel natural] that relies [indeed sometimes 'too much'] on
people obeying the rules?" (Sorry for that difficult-to-navigate
sentence! :-))

> Rather the real problem is the leaders not paying attention to what's happening on the dance floor.

Not much to disagree with there!

Shahrukh