[Tango-L] self-proclaimed teachers

Charles Roques c.roques at mchsi.com
Mon Jan 11 11:54:51 EST 2010

HBBOOGIE wrote:

<<<Went to a milonga last night and not a nuevo in  sight. But guess what?
Reeking havoc on the floor were the local self-proclaimed  teachers.
Demonstrating how expert they were with endless boleos, kicking,  spinning and
generally horrible floor craft.>>>

Welcome to tango and the fragile male ego.   It has been there for the 13 years I have been dancing and probably won't go way any time soon.  And people wonder why people dance so badly everywhere.  Far too many people teach who are not even decent dancers, much less decent teachers.

<<<The question is why do men who  promote themselves to teachers act in this
manner?  I think I figured out the answer. It’s because they are worse then
the idiots that don’t know any  better. How can you teach tango without
floor craft?>>>

They mistakenly interpret leading as knowing the rest of the dance.

<<<And if you yourself can’t  execute floor craft properly then tear
up those slick business cards and try to  find a real tango teacher that can
teach you proper floor craft. You’ll be doing  yourself and the tango
community a big favor. Someone said that new students  can always gain something even from a bad
tango teacher. I agreed they can gain  bad habits and they do.
End of rant. >>>

Not just floor craft but technique and craft, period.  Not to mention lack of humility.... many people in the U.S. are actually teaching at a point where many Argentines still consider themselves beginners.  And you shouldn't be teaching at a milonga anyway.  Blame their teachers...the blind leading the blind.

Charles