[Tango-L] New Tango

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Mon Jan 11 07:57:20 EST 2010

Tango22 wrote:
> Unusually, I attended two milongas at the weekend dominated by couples
> dancing in the modern youthful style to modern music.

/begin{tongue-in-cheek}
So in contrast to the "old" styles, there's "THE" modern youthful
style, which everybody adheres to?

Give it a generation more, and we'll finally be able to define exactly
what tango is, and starts codifying it <giggle>? After all us dinosaurs
have stopped defacing the planet, of course.
/end{tongue-in-cheek}

God, I suddenly feel old...

Mind you, I don't disagree with your post, but I see the phenomenon
it as a phenotype, not a different viable species. In other words,
I simply think you may be generalising a lot when I doubt the
generalisation is valid, even though such couples certainly exist.

> e)  It seems attractive to young people, for the obvious reasons that
> they are seeking fun and display.

That's an opinion phrased as a statement of fact. I, for one, still
see "young people" go for something more than "fun and display".

The "fun and display" types typically go for salsa, not Argentine tango,
at least in my neck of the woods.

What I'm seeing in my neck of the woods is a tad more youthful exuberance
from (you guessed it) the young, but best ones tend to grow out of the
*excessive* exuberance when they mature (which they often do before
they get old, just by walking their miles).

Perhaps you've grown a strange hybrid in your parts, of course, one
that behaves different and is set to become a new showy codified
ballroom dance...let's call it talsa? Or even better, ta-ta-ta?