[Tango-L] The real problem

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Wed Jan 6 12:05:53 EST 2010

The past week I've read messages about close embrace festivals that
aren't close embrace, 8 count basic beginning with a back step, and
wild and crazy nuevo moves.

The real problem is NAVIGATION. But you don't see classes in
navigation at festivals. Why?? Because they aren't as sexy as
volcaldas (however you spell it). Do teachers explain navigation? Mine
did! I can't believe he is the only one. Clearly, it's going to take
something radical. (To prepare me for the Denver festival, I danced in
a corner surrounded by chairs. It was intimidating but I needed the
training to dance at the MERC, and later my trip to BA.) I remember at
last year's tango festival, an instructor taught what can be done in
milonga when the couple in front don't move.

At the next festival where there is no navigation, the hosts should
treat the dance floor like a construction zone, put up cones and
create traffic lanes. Of course, it will look ridiculous, but I'll bet
the point will be made.

Now suppose nothing is done. Today I've read that the San Diego and
Phoenix festivals aren't good for close embrace dancers. I live on the
east coast so I'm looking for opinions about festivals that have
expensive air fares. (Registration seems to be about the same for all
festivals or proportional to the length of the festival.)

Now that attendees are publicly reviewing festivals, the promoters
should at least be aware that corrective action might have to be
taken. Of course, one or two reviews may not seem a lot. But for every
public review, there are probably 10-15 people who feel the same way.

To some degree, dancing is just like driving.  Maybe solid yellow
lines have to be embossed on the dance floor to mean no crossing.

I remember reading about a milonga in Buenos Aires where the "rules of
the road" were read to participants in multiple languages. If you
didn't follow the rules, you were asked to leave.

I remember an idiot at a ballroom who was going to back into my
partner during foxtrot. I held out my arm to protect her. He asked if
I did that on purpose. I said "Yes, to prevent a collision." He
pitched a hissy fit and threatened to punch me.  I told him to watch
where he was going.

The bottom line is there are some dancers who think for $10 or $15,
they bought the entire floor. I'm not convinced this is a close
embrace vs open position vs nuevo problem but just bad navigation.

Maybe festival promoters should include a flyer with registration.

Michael
Washington, DC
Planning to go to the Atlanta tango festival
I'd danced Argentine Tango- - with the Argentines