[Tango-L] the dreaded back step

Tango22 tango22 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 19:04:50 EST 2010

> From: Sergey Kazachenko ............
> I am looking for an answer to why is the basic step taught with the
> back step and can't think of any reason other than "tradition".
> Why shouldn't we remove the back step and make a 7-count basic?
>
> Another thing that always puzzled me is the way ochos atr?s are taught
> - usually in the static position, with 180-degree turns.

Why start with counting 'steps" at all.  Here is an insight from
Jaoquin Amenabar (www,jaoquinamenabar.com) - "Counting" is a left
brain activity; "Dancing" (to music) is a right brain activity.  They
are not compatible.
The 8CB is, in my experience, the worst possible way to start new
beginners. It causes them to lock into a lot of bad habits and fails
to teach them how to move their bodies.  I prefer, as a basic
technique exercise to teach a simple square walk - side, forward (2),
side, back(2).  It contains all the essential walking technique from
which everything else may be developed.   It also helps beginners to
start with a compact, simple, but effective, dance.

You are right about ochos.  It is common to practice them in sequence,
but important for teachers to demonstrate variations in width and to
explain that, at the milonga, less is more.
Cheers,
John