[Tango-L] dreaded back step

Charles Roques c.roques at mchsi.com
Tue Jan 5 13:46:07 EST 2010

I'm not sure why people are taught to step back as the first step in the 8-count basic as there is a danger of colliding with the person behind you.  A step to the side as the first step is actually more traditional and is seen often in milongas in Bs. As. (but not of course in the nuevo milongas.)  I have seen it for years and most people who teach it otherwise are usually interpreting it instead of following tradition.  But it is also okay to step backward if the space is free.  Also there is nothing "dreaded" about the basic 8-count and resolution, it is only a base foundation step, a sort of default step and generally universal.  You start there and build from it.  I rarely dance it completely through, but usually once or twice during a dance I might do it, and if I am dancing with a beginner or someone I haven't danced with, I'll start there.  Like many other steps or patterns, you may not do it very often but it is important to have a basic foundation. Don't throw out the baby with the bath water.  And if your teacher insists it isn't important to learn it, then you might consider another teacher.
Cheers,
Charles