[Tango-L] Rate of movement on crowded floors

Tango22 tango22 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 18:16:47 EST 2010

We've heard from a couple of people that there's a big  difference in
the
speed at which people travel on the dance floors in BsAs  versus the
crowded
festivals in the U.S.  Basically, in the U.S., the LOD  slows to a
crawl.  In
BsAs, however, the LOD continues at its usual pace,  even if it's
heavily
packed.
Trini de  Snowburgh

Our busy milongas (in Brisbane/Gold Coast, Australia) move comfortably
in BA style with as little as 1.4 sq. metres per couple.  Few "rote-
learned" figures are used in that environment, though we cater for all
schools.
Our experience in Buenos Aires was that the floors at Canning,
Nacional (gone), Club Espanol (gone) and El Beso and Torquato Tasso
were comfortably busy, but with nice energy, though at Tasso at the
time (during the Mundial) was a lot of showing off from visiting
"dancers".  Lo de Celia was less busy, very traditional.  Gricel was
so packed that nobody can move, let alone dance.  From what I hear,
this is not uncommon.
John