[Tango-L] Rate of movement on crowded floors

HBBOOGIE1@aol.com HBBOOGIE1 at aol.com
Tue Feb 9 13:33:54 EST 2010

“This brings up a question of how do we change  things in the U.S. to
encourage a moving floor, even if it's crowded? Obviously,  this would need to
start a local level. Your thoughts?”
Trini,
I would say  that in most cases it would be impossible to expect the floor
to move at a  reasonable rate crowded or not. On rare occasions I have been
to milongas where  the floor craft and the movement were good and that made
the dancing enjoyable.  The problem is it only takes one couple to slow down
the movement of the floor  and create frustration and aggravation amongst
the others.
I think the  biggest problem is the long pauses or endless turning in one
spot. Leaders need  to learn to pay attention to the couple in front of them
and maintain a  reasonable distance. Another problem is the couples that
head for the center of  the floor to display their ability to perform I have no
problem with this but  evidently no one told them they need to stay in the
middle of the floor. When  they get tired of taking up that middle space
they tend to start dancing in and  out of the outside line of dance and of
course there goes the  momentum.
Another problem would be the couples that never learned to look  both ways
before crossing the street. How many times have you been dancing along  and
a couple entering the floor in the middle of a song steps in front of you
causing you to stop? Frustrating isn’t it.
You said, “Obviously, this  would need to start at a local level” I agree
100% and it would have to start  with the teachers educating the students.
The Japanese auto industry has a  philosophy: “If the student isn’t learning
the teacher isn’t teaching”
I know  some of you might say you taught them but they just don’t listen.
Okay if that’s  the case either you need to change your teaching habits or
find a new  profession. In my opinion a lot of teachers I’ve seen not only aren
’t qualified  to teach but they shouldn’t be allowed on a social floor
because they cause a  lot of the problems.
So will things change in the US and will floor craft  get better? I don’t
think so you just need to get out there and try to have fun  and enjoy
yourself as much as possible without causing injury to  others.
David

In a message dated 2/9/2010 6:38:55 A.M. Pacific  Standard Time,