[Tango-L] Type-A tango

Bob Youngson youngson at adam.com.au
Sat Dec 25 02:07:06 EST 2010

Jack wrote:
"On 'Day 20' she includes a video of one of her lessons. If she travelled
all the way to BsAs to learn this kind of show-tango, she probably wasted
her time. She could get the same thing from any travelling performer/teacher
or tango festival closer to home.
Is this how she expects to dance in a milonga?
Or maybe she'll go home and become yet another tango teacher with
'Learned Tango in BsAs' on her resume and then teach a tango that no
one in BsAs actually dances - at least, in the milongas."

I watched the video with the sound off; what did I see?  I saw Sebastian
putting Bora through her paces with walking, ochos, turns, pivots, changes
of direction, changes in dynamic. What can she expect in the traditional
milongas of BsAs? - walking, ochos, turns, pivots, changes of direction,
changes of dynamic.  What was there in this video that suggested show tango?

Was she wasting her time?  She looked to me like she was being challenged
and made to work hard.  That she's taking advantage of her weeks in BsAs to
spend intensive time with a teacher of the calibre of Sebastian suggests
that she is intent on improving her technique and will return home a fair
bit of 'homework' to do.  Her determination should be applauded rather than
derided.

Bob