[Tango-L] Type-A Tango Salon or Show ?

HBBOOGIE1@aol.com HBBOOGIE1 at aol.com
Sat Dec 25 10:29:52 EST 2010

For those of you that don’t seem to be able to  separate salon tango from
performance tango here are two videos that clearly  show the difference. The
first video is Orlando Paiva dancing at Sunderland.  Orlando was the master
of smooth elegant tango. Balance, axis, timing and  connection. The
definition of Salon tango is to dance closed and open embrace  within the music.
Notice how they start off in closed embrace and walk then he  gently releases
her to execute a figure, you barely notice her arm slip from his  shoulder to
his arm and then back again. Their feet are always in contact with  the
floor, they don’t look down at the floor…..blah,blah,blah….the point is if
you can dance salon tango you now have the skill to effortlessly dance close
embrace or milonguero tango or whatever you wish to call it.

In the  second video Murat and Michelle perform a show tango. With no
disrespect to  Murat and Michelle a large number of tango dancers are taught a
lot of the moves  you see in this video. You can see the same open and closed
embrace being danced  but that’s pretty much the only thing the two styles
have in common. It’s Show  or Performance tango and it’s not intended to be
danced at a social  milonga.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in8rG2BHnwo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrhlyM-_yos

In a message dated  12/25/2010 6:51:40 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,