[Tango-L] Type A Tango

Jack Dylan jackdylan007 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 25 05:53:18 EST 2010

> From: Mario sopelote at yahoo.com

> I think that 'Salon' is simply the new catch word for covert 'performance'
>tango.>

I agree with Mario. In the past, there were 2 types of Tango - Social and Stage.
But Stage is beyond anyone but the most athletic and dedicated of dancers.

So, for demonstrating their dance in a milongo and to promote their classes,
Salon teachers invented 'Performance Tango'. It's flashy enough to attract
students and they can still sell it as 'Social Tango'. The fact that it's not
'Social

Tango' doesn't really matter. And there are so many figures to teach that
students

will continue to take lessons for years. It's every dance teachers' dream.

Btw, Salon teachers are very good at marketing their product. Just as Salon had
died out in BsAs, they gave it a new name - 'Villa Urquiza' to make it sound
more

hip and fashionable. Funny thing though, I went to the famous Club Sin Rumbo
in Villa Urquiza earlier this year - and everyone was dancing milonguero.

Jack