[Tango-L] Social-ethical behavior and protocol

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 31 09:50:28 EDT 2010

Nick says: "Women will put up with a fair bit in order to get a dance,
whether that be arrogance or mediocrity or sleaze.."

Milonga codes were developed over the years for a reason. Codes are not old fashioned capricious inventions; they all exist for an important reason.

When you ignore them you are losing 90% of what Argentine Tango is about.

The protocol of the invitation to dance exists to make sure that both the man and the woman, have absolute freedom to chose a partner.

When a man is a good dancer many women wish to dance with him, they are all going to look in his direction to try to establish eye contact and get a dance with him.

This is extremely important because a tango, a real Argentine tango, to be such has to be desired by both, the man and the woman.

The milonga is not a place where you go to dance for courtesy, for charity, or out of obligation.

When you dance that way, you are not dancing tango you are dancing a sad, pale imitation of the movements of a tango.

A tango is full of emotion, there is an intense communication of the souls and of the bodies, there is passion. It is a magical moment.

I just went to dance to Cleveland, to a workshop organized by Timmy Tango, given by Alberto Dassieu.

We were reminded of how to dance, it did not matter our degree of expertise or skill.  We all danced following the milonga codes, followed the socio-ethical protocols and had the most marvelous experience of our lives.

Best regards, Sergio