[Tango-L] El lloron

Charles Roques c.roques at mchsi.com
Thu Aug 26 08:00:11 EDT 2010

> Is 'El Lloron' by Canaro/Fama a milonga or a tango?

It is considered a milonga.  I have several versions including one by Firpo on a compilation entitled "Las Milongas mas Milongas"  Some very early songs could sound like either until the distinct songs types coalesced into the forms we now recognize but the rhythm is what distinguishes it, not the speed.  There are a number of other slower milongas, "De Pura Cepa" for one, that are slower but they are still danced as milongas, not fast tangos.  Candombes can be danced as milongas since the rhythm is more or less the same.
cheers,
Charles