[Tango-L] Socio-ethical behavior and protocol

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Thu Aug 19 12:50:58 EDT 2010

Claiming that just about anything having to do with tango is "one
particular way" in Buenos Aires is ludicrous.

Not that people don't do make that claim. One good ex-pat friend who
lives in Buenos Aires once told me "What they do over at [that place]
is not tango," with which I'm pretty sure my porteño friends who dance
at [that place], and dance REALLY well, would disagree.

http://www.buenosairesmilongas.com/ lists almost 200 weekly dances.
Two milongas, Cachirulo and La Marshall, one ultra traditional, one
ultra non-traditional, even happen in the same room on different
nights. You can find a huge range of styles, music, codigos, dress,
... everything, all being danced by Porteños in the city of Tango. It
is one of the many great things about Buenos Aires.

Don't believe what people tell you. Go see for yourself, but  if you
want an honest picture be prepared to spend at least a few months.
What you see in a 2 week holiday is the Disneyland version, much
shaped by your hosts, or your expectations.