[Tango-L] Socio-ethical behavior and protocol

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 17 23:25:27 EDT 2010

Vince says:  "Sergio, maybe not all men from your parts approach tango in a scholarly and with a pureness of the heart way adhering to some mythical codigo. Someapproach it as a pick-up joint, hitting upon visitors in within a very shorttime. I have read literature about this "shark" behaviour happening,warning women before they go."

Hi Vince, you do not believe that I meant that 100% of tango dancers in Buenos Aires are like the ones I described,... I thought that was clear from the very beginning; if it was not clear I apologize.

In any human group there are all kind of characters, and the milongas are populated by all sort of interesting ones.

Some come to the tango lessons for a while until they pick up a lady, then both of them disappear.  Then he reappears to "take lessons" by himself again, (this means that he broke up) he keeps coming till he picks up another girl and then both disappear....this happens again and again.

Some come to the milongas to dance with the tourist women that do not know how to dance, so they do all sort of acrobatics to take advantage of them.

Some come to dance for money, "Taxi-dancers".

Some come to recruit potential tango students.

And yes, some come to the milonga to pick up women, their favorite passtime.

But...fortunately most of the men at the milonga are like the ones I described before, those are the real milongueros.
The others are a "mixture of Museta y de MiMi".

I have said several times that people dance for different reasons.

I hope that this clarifies this point. This way we can all go to dance for our secret or not so secret reasons.

I imagine that this acknowledgment on my part relieves a lot of guilt feelings, yes you are not the only ones that do that.:))

Best of luck in your endeavor,

Sergio